Study Visa

  1. 1
    Student Visa Refusals
    Student Visas get refused often when individuals apply on their own. There are many possible reasons for refusal which are detailed below.

    Citizens from Non visa-exempt countries must ensure a strong application is prepared in order to convince the visa officer they are a good candidate for a Student Visa.  Non visa-exempt countries have been flagged by Canadian Immigration, and citizens from these countries must go through a much more rigorous screening process than citizens from visa-exempt counties.  Every Student, Worker, or Visitor from a non visa-exempt country requires a TRV visa in their passport  (travel authorization) before they are allowed to board a plane and travel to Canada.  When a candidate applies for a Student Visa, they will be automatically issued a TRV visa as well.

    The Student Visa application process is a lengthy one. The application requires detailed personal and family information. In addition, many documents must be provided to strengthen and support the application. Unlike US visas that have an interview, Canada’s screening process is only done by a paper application with no interview. It is extremely important to prepare a strong application as the visa officer will make a decision solely based on the information provided in the application; they will not request any additional information.
    Many individuals do not understand the process and there is a high rate of refusal when an individual applies on their own. After receiving a refusal, the individual has been flagged and any subsequent application must be as strong as possible in order to have any chance of approval. Matkowsky and Associates can help you re-apply.

    Reasons for Refusal:

    • Study Plan: Without a detailed and logical study plan, the officer will not be convinced the main purpose of coming to Canada is to study.  There must be a logical progression of studying if a person already has previous post-graduate education or work experience.  The choice of program in Canada must make sense for the student, or a proper explanation must be given how their diploma in Canada will help them when they return to their home country.  This is the most common reason for refusal.
    • Proof of Finances: Tuition in Canada starts at $15,000 CAD per year. The Canadian government wants to ensure a student has the financial support to pay for their tuition and living expenses.  A bank statement with a minimum of $30,000 CADequivalent needs to be provided as evidence.
    • Lack of Travel History: If a person has not travelled anywhere outside of their home country before, they will be refused a visa if they apply on their own.  Our firm can overcome this reason by making legal arguments and referencing a Federal Court Case in the application.
    • Strong Family Ties to Canada:surprisingly, having family members in Canada can be a reason for refusal, and individuals applying on their own can be refused.  Our firm can overcome this reason by making legal arguments and referencing a Federal Court Case in the application.
    • Lack of evidenciary documents
    • Illegal Status in Country of Residence
    • Lack of Employment Prospects in Home Country:  if student is older
    • Current Employment Situation: if student is older
    • Personal Assets
    • Documents that do no appear authentic
    • History of overstaying status on a previous visit to Canada
    • Other Reasons

    Other Reasons for Refusal that apply to all visitors to Canada

    • Criminality(having previously been charged with a crime)
    • Misrepresentation(having misrepresented information to Canada immigration previously and received a ban)
    • Previous Deportation: for overstaying visit illegally
    • Medical Inadmissibility: have a contagious disease that is a threat to Canadians
    • Human Rights Violations: previously served in the military for a country that has been deemed to have participated in war crimes.  Additional documents must be provided to overcome this inadmissibility.
  2. 2
    Study in Canada

    To apply for a Canada Student Visa (study permit), students must first enroll and be accepted to study at a Canadian educational institution. In addition to the Study Permit, students may need a Temporary Resident Visa and/or and eTA (electronic Travel Authorization), depending on their country of citizenship or residence.

    Who can apply for a Canadian Student Visa?

    Foreign students who have applied for and been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may apply for a Canada Student Visa in order to come to Canada and complete the specific program for which they have been accepted. You must have received an acceptance letter from the designated institution which you plan to attend before you submit your application for a Canada student visa. Additionally, you must meet the following requirements for a Canada student visa:

    • You must have been accepted by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)in Canada.
    • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
      • tuition fees
      • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
      • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
    • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
    • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
    • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

    You do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada if:

    • You wish to study in a short-term course or program:
      • You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.
    • You are a family member of a Foreign representatives to Canada:
      • If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to find out whether you need a study permit.
    • You are a family member of foreign armed forces:
      • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
    • You are a foreign national who is a  Registered Indian in Canada:
      • If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.

    Extend a Student Visa or Change Conditions

    If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must complete the an application to do so. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires. If you decide to change programs or school / institution, you must complete an application to change the conditions of you study permit.

    Restore Status as a student

    You may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit.

    After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

    There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

    Health Care

    Health Care

    Work while you study

    Students enrolled in a full-time program may work on-campus or off-campus without a work permit.  Certain conditions apply, depending on the location of work, and type of program the student is enrolled in.

    For more information, visit the Working while you study page.

    Bringing Family to Canada

    You may bring your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children to Canada to be with you while you study. Your spouse or common-law partner will receive an Open Work Permit for the duration of your studies. The open work permit will allow your spouse or partner to work for any employer within Canada.

    Spouse/Common-law partner Open Work Permit

    Spouses/Common-law Partners of International students studying in Canada are eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit which allows them to work for any employer in Canada in any job.  The duration of the work permit will be the same as the spouses study permit (visa).

    For more information, visit the Open Work Permit page.

    Post-Graduation Work Permit

    Once you have graduated from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution, you may qualify to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. This program offers graduates a three year open work permit which will allow you to earn valuable work experience. You do not need to have a job offer to get an open work permit.

    Please Note:  You must apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit no later than 90 days after receiving written confirmation of graduating (a transcript or an official letter) in order to be eligible. You must also make sure you still have status as a student (your study permit did not expire) when you apply.

    For more information, visit the Post-Graduation Work Permit page.

    Additionally, Canada allows foreign students who have completed their studies in Canada and have gained a certain amount of work experience within Canada to apply for immigration to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Switch The Language

    In SEP Immigration company we are dedicated to ensuring that you meet Canadian immigration requirements.


    5300 Yonge Street, Suite 205, Toronto, ON, Canada


    +1 (647) 864-4224